Skip to content


Over the past three Tax Years (18, 19,20), Josephine County Tax-Aide volunteers have helped  low- to moderate-income taxpayers by maximizing their income tax refunds.

  • Over 30 IRS certified volunteers assisted clients in our Grants Pass, Cave Junction, and Rogue River locations using a variety of drop-off and scanning techniques during the ongoing pandemic.
  • A total of almost $5 million in refunds went back into the pockets of Josephine County individuals and families, both young and elderly.
  • Included in those refunds were $1.2 million in Earned Income Credit, $1 million in Child Tax Credit and $90,000 of Education Credits. These are Credits that can uplift our community.

Become a Volunteer!

This program depends entirely on people like you to help prepare tax returns free of charge for our community. And, there are various ways to volunteer: Tax Counselor, Scheduler, Greeter.

No experience is necessary! Training is free and expert mentoring provided. Learn more of each below.


We Are Now Closed 

If you need to reach us, send an email as instructed below.
We are NOT monitoring phone calls.

See you next year!



For Your Interview...

You will need at your ready.

  • Photo ID and Social Security Card or other proof of the Social Security Number — THIS IS NEEDED — NO EXCEPTIONS! Medicare Card is NOT proof.
  • Copy of last year’s tax return — VERY IMPORTANT! Don’t have? Click Here to get a transcript from the IRS before you have your interview appointment.
  • Birth dates and Social Security Cards for all members of household
  • 1095-A if insurance purchased through
  • All income documents and statements: Social Security, W2s, 1099s, pension, IRA, broker, etc. Does your Social Security include a lump payment for previous years? Have copies of the tax returns for each and every previous year noted.
  • Medical expenses, listed by individual: insurance premiums, doctors, dentists, nursing homes, prescription, eyeglasses, hearing aids, medical equipment (Doctors and pharmacies can provide a list). Don’t forget mileage for medical appointments. Download the Deduction Organizer
  • Charitable Donations, including mileage for volunteering.
  • Mortgage and mortgage insurance premiums
  • Real estate taxes
Social Security Cards Must Look Similar to These
Social Security Cards Must Look Similar to These


You only need to file a tax return if your income is over a certain amount or if you qualify for certain credits and refunds, or if you have certain information that needs to be reported.

Your income

Whether you need to file based on income depends upon your filing status, what your gross income is, and how much tax was withheld from your income. Rather than list all the options here, it’s easier to go to the IRS web site to work through a series of questions to get the answer. You can file, even if you don’t have to, but be aware that you may be using an appointment that someone else really needs.

For most people who cannot be claimed as a dependent this table will suffice. But, if married filing separately and lived with spouse or if half of social security benefits plus tax-exempt interest plus gross income is greater than $25,000 ($32,000 if married filing jointly), or if you are a dependent and have income, then use the IRS web site instead.

Do not include social security benefits in gross income for this table.

Single under 65 $6,495
65 or older $7,695
Married filing jointly under 65 (both) $12,900
65 or older (one) $13,900
65 or older (both) $14,990
Married filing separately any age $5
Head of household under 65 $8,150
65 or older $9,350
Qualifying widow(er) with dependent child under 65 $9,055
65 or older $10,055

You must file if :

(yellow italics means you will need to go to a professional tax preparer)

  1. You had net earnings from self-employment of at least $400.
  2. You received an advanced premium tax credit to pay for health insurance.
  3. You owe any special taxes, including any of the following.
    1. Social security and Medicare tax on tips you did not report to your employer or on wages you received from an employer who did not withhold these taxes.
    2. Recapture of first-time homebuyer credit.
    3. Write-in taxes, including uncollected social security and Medicare or RRTA tax on tips you reported to your employer or on group-term life insurance and additional taxes on health savings accounts.
    4. Alternative minimum tax.
    5. Additional tax on a qualified plan, including an individual retirement arrangement (IRA), or other tax-favored account. But if you are filing a return only because you owe this tax, you can file Form 5329 by itself.
    6. Household employment taxes. But if you are filing a return only because you owe this tax, you can file Schedule H by itself.
    7. Recapture taxes.
  4. You (or your spouse, if filing jointly) received HSA, Archer MSA or Medicare Advantage MSA distributions.
  5. You had wages of $108.28 or more from a church or qualified church-controlled organization that is exempt from employer social security and Medicare taxes.

You should file if:

  1. You had income tax withheld from your pay.
  2. You made estimated tax payments for the year or had any of your overpayment for last year’s estimated tax applied to this year’s taxes.
  3. You qualify for the earned income credit.
  4. You qualify for the additional child tax credit.
  5. You qualify for the premium tax credit.
  6. You qualify for an American Opportunity Credit.
  7. You receive a 1099-B and the gross proceeds plus other income exceeds the filing limits.
  8. You receive Form 1099-S, Proceeds From Real Estate Transactions.
  9. You qualify for the refundable credit for prior year minimum tax.
  10. You qualify for the federal tax on fuels.


Here is the list of Tax Forms that we can prepare for you
  • 1040 with Schedules A (Itemized Deductions — Download Deduction Organizer), B (Interest & Ordinary Dividends), and D (Capital Gains and Losses)
  • Schedule C (Business) up to $25,000 expenses, no employees, no inventory, no losses, no depreciation
  • Schedule EIC and EIC Worksheets (Earned Income Credit)
  • 1099-MISC with Box 7 nonemployee compensation reported on Schedule C
  • 1099-MISC with Box 1 or 2 — rents, royalities, reported on Schedule E with no expenses or depreciation
  • 1099-MISC with Box 3 other income that is reported on 1040 Line 21
  • 1040-ES – Estimated Payments
  • 2441 – Child & Dependent Care
  • 5405 – Repayment of First Time Home Buyer Credit
  • 8283, Section A, Part 1 – noncash contributions to charity exceeding $500 but are less than $5,000
  • 8606 – Nondeductible IRA Part 1
  • 8812 – Additional Child Tax Credit
  • 8863 – Education Credits
  • 8949 – Sale or Disposition of Assets
  • 9465 – Installment Agreement
  • 8379 – Injured Spouse
  • 1040X – Amended Returns back 3 years
  • Schedule K-1 for only interest, dividends, capital gain distributions and royalties
  • Cancellation of Dept — 1099-A and/or 1099/C and Form 982
  • Health Savings Accounts – 1099-SA and Form 8889
  • Affordable Care Act: Premium Tax Credits

Locations for scanning are in Grants Pass and Cave Junction

Call 541-223-9597 NEW! for an intake appointment – Monday through Friday. We will begin to return calls starting January 28th.

Right now all appointments are for a “virtual” intake interview appointment by either phone, or if possible by Google Meet. Very Important to have access to an Email Account — either yours or a trusted family member or close friend.

After your phone intake interview, you will have your choice of scanning your own documents and sending to us, or bringing your documents to a scan site in either Grants Pass or Cave Junction. (Sorry, no Rogue River this year) Your intake interviewer will set up a scanning appointment for you at the end of the interview.


What will happen when I arrive at the tax site for Scanning?

First, you need an appointment which will be given to you at the end of your virtual intake interview. When you arrive, you will put all your ids, social security proof, the custom checklist prepared for you at the interview, and your agreement with this virtual process (Form 14446) and all items noted on the checklist in a TaxAide envelope and place on the scanning table. The scanner will assure that you have brought your Photo ID plus proof of your social security number. You will be asked to leave the area to await the completion of scanning. After all has been scanned, all will be returned to you. Within a few days, you will hear from a certified counselor regarding the results.

What is "Proof" of my Social Security Number?

Social Security Card, or the full number on either Social Security Award letter or SSA-1099, or 2018 Tax Return if e-filed by Josephine County TaxAide, or Statement from DHS. This “Proof” is needed for all who are included in the tax return.

Who is responsible for my tax return?

You, as the taxpayer, are responsible for your tax return. The Tax-Aide volunteer certified preparers assist you in completing your taxes within the scope of the Tax-Aide program. We assist in keeping to tax law, helping you to gain the greatest refund possible, and electronically file your return for speed and accuracy.

What are the basic impacts of the COVID-19 Relief Bills

First, your economic stimulus payment is NOT taxable. We will confirm that you received the correct amount, meaning if you added a dependent (under 17 years old) after you received the first stimulus, you may be eligible for additional. Even though you didn’t have deductions on your Federal Return, you can deduct up to $300 cash donations as an adjustment The other items that are within the scope of TaxAide returns deal with Self Employment.

What is an "injured spouse"?

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has the power to seize income tax refunds when a taxpayer owes certain debts, such as unpaid taxes or overdue child support. Sometimes, a married couple’s joint tax refund will be seized because of a debt for which only one spouse is responsible. When that happens, the other spouse is said to be “injured” and can file Form 8379 to get at least some of the refund.

The IRS has called me saying I owe money -- what should I do?

The IRS doesn’t initiate contact with taxpayers by email, text messages or social media channels to request personal or financial information. This includes requests for PIN numbers, passwords or similar access information for credit cards, banks or other financial accounts.