Our Josephine County volunteer tax preparers have been helping low to moderate income taxpayers prepare their tax returns for over 40 years offering them personal one-on-one assistance to complete their federal and state tax returns including electronic filing.
- Over 30 IRS certified volunteers assisted clients in our Grants Pass, Cave Junction, and Rogue River locations.
- Over the past 4 years, a total of almost $6 million in refunds went back into the pockets of Josephine County individuals and families, both young and elderly.
- Included in those refunds were thousands in Earned Income Credit, Child Tax Credit and Education Credits. These are Credits that can uplift our community.
We are VITA in Grants Pass & in Cave Junction
We are now a VITA site sponsored by UCAN through Josephine County.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program has been in operation for over 50 years. VITA sites offer free tax help to people who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns, including:
- Persons with disabilities.
- Limited English-speaking taxpayers
While we do not have an income limit, we suggest that if you can afford a paid preparer, the appointment you take could be used by someone who cannot.
While the IRS manages the VITA program, the VITA sites are operated by IRS partners and staffed by volunteers who want to make a difference in their communities. The IRS-certified volunteers who provide tax counseling are often retired individuals associated with non-profit organizations that receive grants from the IRS.
VITA services are not only free, but they are also a reliable and trusted source for preparing tax returns. All VITA volunteers who prepare returns must take and pass tax law training that meets or exceeds IRS standards. This training includes maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of all taxpayer information. In addition to requiring volunteers to certify their knowledge of the tax laws, the IRS requires a quality review check by a second volunteer for every return prepared at a VITA site prior to filing. Each filing season, tens of thousands of dedicated VITA volunteers prepare millions of federal and state returns. They also assist taxpayers with the preparation of thousands of Facilitated Self-Assistance returns.