Skip to content


Josephine County volunteer tax preparers have helped low- to moderate-income taxpayers by maximizing their income tax refunds.

  • Over 30 IRS certified volunteers assisted clients in our Grants Pass, Cave Junction, and Rogue River locations.
  • Over the past 4 years, a total of almost $6 million in refunds went back into the pockets of Josephine County individuals and families, both young and elderly.
  • Included in those refunds were thousands in Earned Income Credit, Child Tax Credit and Education Credits. These are Credits that can uplift our community.

Become a Volunteer!

This program depends entirely on people like you to help prepare tax returns free of charge for our community. And, there are various ways to volunteer: Tax Counselor, Scheduler, Greeter.

No experience is necessary! Training is free and expert mentoring provided. Learn more of each below.



We will be ready to take appointments the 2022 Tax Year in mid January, 2023

Appointments are VERY Limited

We will have 3 ways to help you with your IRS and Oregon return. All these methods will help you file both your federal and Oregon tax returns free of charge. The choice depends on your comfort and ability to use technology (smart phone and/or computer) and the internet.


Limited Drop Off Appointments

With our limited drop off appointments, we are trying to address the needs of low income and those without computers and internet. As a guideline, if your income is $73,000 or greater, perhaps consider a paid preparer or try one of the online services.

Do It Yourself with a Virtual Coach

What you need
  1. A Computer
  2. An Internet Connection
Type of Return
  1. Not Complex: W2s, Social Security, Interest, Dividends, 1099-R
Are You?
  1. Technology savvy, in other words, can follow instructions to prepare your own tax returns with assistance
  2. Able to set up an account with the Tax Software, much like dealing online with your Bank
What Happens
  1. YOU REQUEST ACCESS TO THE SOFTWARE HERE. Then, click “Request Help” for completing your return with TaxAide remote help. 
  2. You need to fill out the form requesting help
  3. When your request is answered, you will be contacted via phone or “Google Meet” to interview you regarding technology capabilities.
  4. You will receive an email with further instructions, tips, a link to the software, and identification of a TaxAide coach.
  5. You will prepare and file your return, with coaching virtually by a TaxAide Counselor.

Drop Off (available in GP and Cave Junction)

What you need Phone that will be answered from a number we provide
Type of Return

Less complex returns within our Scope. That means, no Broker Statements, no house sale, no education (1098-T)

Are You?
  1. Able to pick up a drop off packet to fill out at home
  2. Able to come to our TaxAide office with all your tax related forms
What Happens
  1. You make an appointment to drop off your forms
  1. You pick up a Drop Off Packet any of these locations BEFORE your appointment — OR Download Here
  2. You complete all forms and worksheets at home, gather your identification and tax documents.
  3. You appear at your appointment with all needed information (masks required.)
  4. We review your forms and worksheets while you wait inside your vehicle. We inventory your forms and ask for your agreement.
  5. You will leave. We will scan your documents, forms, and worksheets for counselors to prepare your returns at their home.
  6. The counselor will call you on your phone with questions, if any.
  7. The reviewer will call you regarding your return and arrange for you to receive your return for your signature(s) either in person or electronically.


What you need
  1. A Computer
  2. An Internet Connection
  3. A scanner or phone that can produce PDF documents
  4. Able to participate in an online meeting
  5. Phone that will be answered from a number we provide
Type of Return All returns within TaxAide Scope
Are You?
  1. Technology savvy
  2. Able to set up an account with the tax software, much like that with online banking
  3. Comfortable communicating electronically via a chat function
  4. Able to scan your documents as we will instruct you. This may involve disassembling parts of your 2020 return to scan only the needed pages
What Happens
  1. First, read the AARP TaxAide/IRS legal requirements.
  2. You make an appointment to determine your technology capabilities. A TaxAide volunteer will call you at the appointment time. Click HERE for a Technology Capability Appointment.
  3. We will set up a “Customer Portal” for you to upload all your tax documents. You will need to complete and then upload forms in this Intake Packet
  4. You will receive an invitation to your Customer Portal
  5. Once you establish your account, you will be able to:
    1. Upload your documents
    2. View a copy of your return for the quality review
    3. Sign your return
    4. Download a copy of your signed return
    5. Participate in a “chat” with the preparer and reviewer
    6. View status of your return being accepted by both the IRS and Oregon Department of Revenue.

For Your Appointment...

You will need (No Exceptions!)

  • Photo ID and Social Security Card or other proof of the Social Security Number
  • Copy of last year’s tax returnVERY IMPORTANT! Don’t have? Click Here to get a transcript from the IRS before you have your interview appointment.
  • Birth dates and Social Security Cards for all members of household

Here is a Detailed Checklist to download regarding all Income, Deductions, Credits. Use it to make sure you first, have received everything, and second, you bring it with you.

Social Security Cards Must Look Similar to These
Social Security Cards Must Look Similar to These


You only need to file a tax return if your income is over a certain amount or if you qualify for certain credits and refunds, or if you have certain information that needs to be reported.

Your income

Whether you need to file based on income depends upon your filing status, what your gross income is, and how much tax was withheld from your income. Rather than list all the options here, it’s easier to go to the IRS web site to work through a series of questions to get the answer. You can file, even if you don’t have to, but be aware that you may be using an appointment that someone else really needs.

For most people who cannot be claimed as a dependent this table will suffice. But, if married filing separately and lived with spouse or if half of social security benefits plus tax-exempt interest plus gross income is greater than $25,000 ($32,000 if married filing jointly), or if you are a dependent and have income, then use the IRS web site instead.

Do not include social security benefits in gross income for this table.

Single under 65 $6,690
65 or older $7,790
Married filing jointly under 65 (both) $13,175
65 or older (one) $14,175
65 or older (both) $15,175
Married filing separately any age $5
Head of household under 65 $8,265
65 or older $9,465
Qualifying widow(er) with dependent child under 65 $9,185
65 or older $10,185

You must file if :

(yellow italics means you will need to go to a professional tax preparer)

  1. You had net earnings from self-employment of at least $400.
  2. You received an advanced premium tax credit to pay for health insurance and/or advanced child tax credit (new this year!).
  3. You owe any special taxes, including any of the following.
    1. Social security and Medicare tax on tips you did not report to your employer or on wages you received from an employer who did not withhold these taxes.
    2. Recapture of first-time homebuyer credit.
    3. Write-in taxes, including uncollected social security and Medicare or RRTA tax on tips you reported to your employer or on group-term life insurance and additional taxes on health savings accounts.
    4. Alternative minimum tax.
    5. Additional tax on a qualified plan, including an individual retirement arrangement (IRA), or other tax-favored account. But if you are filing a return only because you owe this tax, you can file Form 5329 by itself.
    6. Household employment taxes. But if you are filing a return only because you owe this tax, you can file Schedule H by itself.
    7. Recapture taxes.
  4. You (or your spouse, if filing jointly) received HSA, Archer MSA or Medicare Advantage MSA distributions.
  5. You had wages of $108.28 or more from a church or qualified church-controlled organization that is exempt from employer social security and Medicare taxes.

You should file if:

  1. You had income tax withheld from your pay.
  2. You made estimated tax payments for the year or had any of your overpayment for last year’s estimated tax applied to this year’s taxes.
  3. You qualify for the earned income credit.
  4. You qualify for the additional child tax credit.
  5. You qualify for the premium tax credit.
  6. You qualify for an American Opportunity Credit.
  7. You receive a 1099-B and the gross proceeds plus other income exceeds the filing limits.
  8. You receive Form 1099-S, Proceeds From Real Estate Transactions.
  9. You qualify for the refundable credit for prior year minimum tax.
  10. You qualify for the federal tax on fuels.


Here is the list of Tax Forms that we can prepare for you
  • 1040 with Schedules A (Itemized Deductions — Download Deduction Organizer), B (Interest & Ordinary Dividends), and D (Capital Gains and Losses)
  • Schedule C (Business) up to $25,000 expenses, no employees, no inventory, no losses, no depreciation
  • Schedule EIC and EIC Worksheets (Earned Income Credit)
  • 1099-NEC with Box 1 nonemployee compensation reported on Schedule C
  • 1099-MISC with Box 1 Rents (Land Only), Box 2 and 3
  • 1040-ES – Estimated Payments
  • 2441 – Child & Dependent Care
  • 5405 – Repayment of First Time Home Buyer Credit
  • 8283, Section A, Part 1 – noncash contributions to charity exceeding $500 but are less than $5,000
  • 8606 – Nondeductible IRA Part 1
  • 8812 – Additional Child Tax Credit
  • 8863 – Education Credits
  • 8949 – Sale or Disposition of Assets
  • 9465 – Installment Agreement
  • 8379 – Injured Spouse
  • 1040X – Amended Returns back 3 years
  • Schedule K-1 for only interest, dividends, capital gain distributions and royalties
  • Cancellation of Dept — 1099-A and/or 1099/C and Form 982
  • Health Savings Accounts – 1099-SA and Form 8889
  • Affordable Care Act: Premium Tax Credits

Locations for Drop Off Packet Pickup:

This Website:

Grants Pass Packet Pickup (starting 1/24/22):

  • UCAN: 900 SE 8th St. Monday-Saturday 10:00AM – 2:00PM
  • Call 541-223-9597 for an interview appointment at UCAN – or make an appointment here

Cave Junction Packet Pickup (starting 1/24/22):

  • Illinois Valley Family Coalition: 534 E River St
  • Call 541-592-6139 for an interview appointment at IV Family Coalition – or make an appointment here



What will happen when I arrive at the tax site for Scanning?

Before your appointment you must either pick up a Packet to complete, or can download it here. You must complete all needed items in the Packet at home. Minimum are: signing the permission to prepare your return (Form 14446), and the Intake Booklet. You will place those forms, plus any others needed (Itemized Deduction, Education, Small Business worksheet), with last year’s return, and proof of social security number in the provided envelope. At the appointment, our volunteer Greeter will check your photo IDs, assure that the proof of Social Security numbers, the signed 14446, and the completed Intake Workbook are available. You will then return to your vehicle for about 15 minutes. A tax certified volunteer will review your provided materials, all forms to assure that all the is needed to prepare your return is available. You will return to the Greeter area to answer any needed questions and sign a document listing all the forms we will retain to scan for your return preparation. You will then leave. Within a few days, you will hear from a certified counselor regarding the results.

What is "Proof" of my Social Security Number?

Social Security Card, or the full number on either Social Security Award letter or SSA-1099, or a previous Tax Return if e-filed by Josephine County TaxAide, or Statement from DHS. This “Proof” is needed for all who are included in the tax return.

Who is responsible for my tax return?

You, as the taxpayer, are responsible for your tax return. The Tax-Aide volunteer certified preparers assist you in completing your taxes within the scope of the Tax-Aide program. We assist in keeping to tax law, helping you to gain the greatest refund possible, and electronically file your return for speed and accuracy.

What are the basic impacts of the COVID-19 Relief Bills

First, your economic stimulus payment is NOT taxable. We will confirm that you received the correct amount, meaning if you added a dependent after you received the stimulus, you may be eligible for additional. Even though you didn’t have deductions on your Federal Return, you can deduct up to $300 cash donations ($600 for Married Filing Jointly).

What is an "injured spouse"?

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has the power to seize income tax refunds when a taxpayer owes certain debts, such as unpaid taxes or overdue child support. Sometimes, a married couple’s joint tax refund will be seized because of a debt for which only one spouse is responsible. When that happens, the other spouse is said to be “injured” and can file Form 8379 to get at least some of the refund.

The IRS has called me saying I owe money -- what should I do?

The IRS doesn’t initiate contact with taxpayers by email, text messages or social media channels to request personal or financial information. This includes requests for PIN numbers, passwords or similar access information for credit cards, banks or other financial accounts.